The Second Largest Port during the Qing(Lugang)
Lugang was formerly known as “Luzaigang”, and it was the territory of the Mazhilin indigenous tribe. According to legend, the Han Chinese settlers came up with the name “Luzaigang” because wild deer (pronounced Lu in Chinese) lived here. It was one of the main ports for early settlers to arriving at central Taiwan. In 1784 (Year 49 of the Qianlong regime) the Qing Government approved direct traffic between Lugang and Hanjiang in Quanzhou, Fujian Province, for both political and economic reasons. By doing so, Lugang became the second biggest port city of Taiwan. By the late 18th century, Lugang had entered its heyday and become an important rice distribution and export port in central Taiwan. After the 19th century, the gradual process of silting-up ended Lugang’s role as a port, and the area eventually declined in importance.