Xinzhuang and Mengjia

Xinzhuang and Mengjia

Map:Xinzhuang and Mengjia
Situated on the southwest side of the Taipei basin, Xinzhuang was once the largest port along the banks of Tamsui River in the 18th century, and it was also the earliest commercial center established by the Han Chinese settlers in this area. The location was originally the territory of the Wulaowan indigenous tribe; however, because a number of Han Chinese, including Lin Tian-Cheng, Lin Cheng-Zu and Zhang Guang-Fu, called on tenant-farmers to reclaim land there, both the population and economic development took off in Xinzhuang. This, together with the fact that government offices and military barracks were also established these, meant that it became the most flourishing political and economic center along the Tamsui River during the 18th century. Subsequently, when the upstream riverbed of Dahan River was silted up, berthing for the ships along Xinzhuang became increasingly inconvenient, and thus the boats turned to Mengjia to berth and conduct trade. In 1788 (Year 53 of the Qianlong regime), after the Banliben was opened to cross-strait transportation, allowing ships from Quanzhou and Xiamen to come to Mengjia, it rapidly grew into the largest and most important commercial harbor in northern Taiwan. Mengjia was also part of the laudatory title “Yi fu, Er lu, San Mengjia”, which translates to “First Tainan, second Lugang and third Mengjia”.

Related Exhibits

National Museum of Taiwan History LOGO
Ministry of Culture LOGO
Facebook Fan Page

Copyright National Museum of Taiwan History All © 2011 National Museum of Taiwan History. All Rights reserved.
Locations: No.250, Sec 1, Changhe Rd., Annan District, Tainan City 70946, Taiwan
Tel: +886-6 -3568889 Fax: +886-6-3564981