In 1796 (the first year of Jiaqing regime), Wu Sha led Cantonese settlers from Zhangzhou and Quanzhou to reclaim land in Toucheng, Yilan, where they created Erwei, Sanwei, Siwei and Wuwei (modern day Yilan City), as well as villages such as Minzhuangwei. In 1810 (Year 15 of the Jiaqing regime), after the Kavalan Hall was established, the “Jieshou” land reclamation system was adopted by the first official Yang Ting-Li. The system involved congregating several dozen tenant farmers into a small Jieshou and combining several dozen small Jieshou into a large Jieshou; land was then allocated according to the number of persons in each group. When Han Chinese and Plain indigenous people(Pingpu) flocked into the Lanyang Plain to reclaim land, the original inhabitants, known as “Kavalans”, were forced to move elsewhere. Some of the Kavalan people moved southward to the Blisha area (modern day Sanxing Township and parts of Yuanshan Township), close to the territory of the Atayal indigenous tribe. Others came to the Hualien Plain to rebuild their villages, which later became the Jialiwan community.