Street House of Lugang.

Street House of Lugang.
展品位置:Street House of Lugang.
Exhibition Track
Territorial Societies and Plural Cultures > Qing Dynasty Commercial Cities and Towns > The Second Largest Port during the Qing(Lugang)
Lugang, Quanzhou, street house
Object description:
Due to political and economic considerations, the Qing government officially opened Lugang for immigration in 1784, transforming it into the second largest port city in Taiwan. In late 18th century, Lugang entered its heyday in terms of business, and it became an important distribution and export port for rice and grains in central Taiwan.
The model shows how space was used in Lugang’s street houses during the Qing Dynasty. A standard street house in Lugang had two entrances, and side facing the street usually consisted of wood screens. The first entrance was relatively deep and large, in order to carry out the functions of trade, prayer and storage. The space inside consisted of the storefront, main hall and deity hall. There was usually a square stairwell in the main hall with a ladder next to it for accessing the mezzanine, which was frequently used as storage or guestroom. There was a small courtyard between the first and the second entrance (also known as a skylight), with a wall on one side and passage on the other side. The second entrance leads to the living space of the household, with a “hall in the front and rooms in the rear” configuration. If a third entrance exists, its function and layout would be identical to that of the second entrance. The cooking space was usually in the courtyard or the open passage in the backyard.

Related Exhibits

National Museum of Taiwan History LOGO
Ministry of Culture LOGO
Facebook Fan Page

Copyright National Museum of Taiwan History All © 2011 National Museum of Taiwan History. All Rights reserved.
Locations: No.250, Sec 1, Changhe Rd., Annan District, Tainan City 70946, Taiwan
Tel: +886-6 -3568889 Fax: +886-6-3564981