Opening Treaty Ports for Trade
After the Qing signed the Treaty of Tientsin with various countries in 1858, Tamsui and Anping were listed as treaty ports where foreigners enjoyed trading privileges. Later, at the request of foreign countries, the Qing authorities also opened up the harbors at Keelung and Takow (today’s Kaohsiung). Customs offices were established , senior posts in the Imperial Maritime Customs Service were held by Westerners. Customs officials compiled statistics on exports of tea, camphor, sugar, and other commodities, as well as imports of opium, textiles, and other foreign goods. Western missionaries also began arriving in Taiwan; besides establishing churches and preaching, they founded hospitals and schools, introducing modern Western civilization to Taiwan.